Recently get a ticket you’re trying to dismiss? Are you looking to save some money on your car insurance? Has your boss recently required you to take a driver safety course as a condition of employment? If your answer to any of these questions is yes, you are clearly in the market for a traffic school course. But what’s the best way to get traffic school marked off your to-do list?
As with most anything else in our lives these days, the answer to that last question is “to-do” it online. Sure, you could go to a classroom, and classroom courses can be fun. However, if you lead the same busy life that most of us do, an internet course is probably the best option.
If you’ve already started shopping for a course, you might be overwhelmed at this point. We don’t blame you at all; Michigan has a LOT of driver improvement course providers. How do you know where to begin?
We’d like to give you a hand here. We’re going to discuss eligibility requirements for Michigan driver safety courses and give a quick review of the three Michigan providers that we think are the best. And if you don’t agree with us, we’re also going to provide a list of all the current providers in the state. Get ready to do some scrolling, it’s a pretty long list.
Who Is Eligible to Take a Michigan Driver Improvement Course?
The answer to that question depends on why you are taking the course. If you are taking it for a job requirement or for an insurance discount, there are no restrictions on whether or not you can take a course. On the other hand, if ticket dismissal is your goal, the Michigan Office of the Secretary of State has some rules you must follow.
BTW—If this is your first time taking a course, you may notice that sometimes I say “driver improvement” and other times I say “traffic school.” In Michigan, courts call these courses “driver improvement” courses while some providers might call them defensive driving or driver safety classes. Not to worry; as long as the course you choose is approved by the Michigan SOS it will get the job done, no matter what it’s called.
If you have received a traffic citation, your path to a driver improvement course is much easier than in most states. Chances are good that if you qualify for a driver improvement course, the Secretary of State’s office will send you a letter informing you of that option. How easy is that?
Michigan courts lay out some basic conditions for ticket dismissal.
- Drivers CAN attend traffic school if:
- They have received a letter from the MI SOS saying they can
- If they have a valid, non-commercial license at the time of registration for the course
- If the ticket appears on this list
On the other hand…
- Drivers CANNOT attend traffic school for (or if):
- Tickets written for ineligible offenses
- Tickets received out-of-state
- They had more than 2 driving record points at the time the ticket was issued
- They don’t currently hold a Michigan driver’s license
Did you tick all the boxes? Then let’s find you a course.
Our Recommendations (the Top 3)
Michigan’s Top-Rated, MI SOS-Approved Online Driver Improvement Courses
#1 Choice in MI!
Let’s Break ‘Em Down
More than anything, online traffic school courses offer freedom and schedule flexibility not found in a classroom course. What makes one better than another? Let’s look at a few reasons, plus what their students say about them.
i Drive Safely
iDriveSafely was one of the first online driver safety providers in the industry. They have served over 5,000,000 customers over their long history and have maintained a very good reputation. The school has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and a nearly 5-star rating on TrustPilot.
- What students are saying—
- Mary N. says, “The course was easy to follow.”
- John S. says, “It was specific to my state and very thorough.”
- Janet W. says, “I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.”
- Advantages of i Drive Safely
- Trusted by 5,000,000 customers
- Great ratings by customers, Trustpilot, and the BBB
- Works well on mobile devices
Go To Traffic School
GoToTrafficSchool has been in business for over two decades and is one of the largest online driving schools, with over 1,000,000 customers and counting. The course is extremely easy, with quizzes so simple you can probably answer them without even going through the course. You’ll definitely learn a few new things, but most of it is mostly reminders of things you already know. The final exam does have some tricky questions, but not so tricky that they should keep you from passing. In any case, GoToTrafficSchool offers unlimited chances at the final, so you are guaranteed to pass.
- What students are saying—
- Curtis says, “Very easy site to navigate through.”
- Wendee T. says, “Very thorough study of the traffic laws.”
- Danny T. says, “Everything went smoothly and easily.”
- Advantages of GoToTrafficSchool
- Live chat and phone assistance available
- Animations and videos to help make time go by faster
- Same-day certificate processing
My Improv started in the driving business over 30 years ago and was founded in partnership with the World-Famous Improv Comedy Club. Their course was written by professional Hollywood writers and the curriculum, while addressing a serious subject, does so in a humorous and light-hearted way. As an added bonus, they will throw in four tickets to your nearest Improv comedy Club if you choose their course.
- What students are saying—
- Guillermo G. says, “I really recommend this online driving school…”
- Saurabh G. says, “The entire process is simple, with a nice interface!”
- Casey W. says, “As blissful as traffic school can get.”
- Advantages of MyImprov
- Short (as little as two-question) unit quizzes
If None of These “Float Your Boat”
Michigan has more (a LOT more) online driver improvement choices. Here’s a list of all the ones we know of.
If you have more questions about Michigan traffic tickets, we have more answers.
Complete List of Michigan SOS-Approved Online Defensive Driving Schools
#1 Choice in MI!
The Kentucky Guide to Dealing with Traffic Tickets
Get a ticket? Learn how traffic school courses can benefit your driving record (and wallet!) while discovering where to take one online.
The Massachusetts Guide to Dealing with Traffic Tickets
Get a ticket? Your next steps can be costly and time-consuming if you're not careful. Could Massachusetts traffic school be a good choice?
Michigan Drivers Ed
Ready for your Michigan license? Confused by the SOS website? Let us help! Find links to all the steps and forms you'll need to get behind the wheel.
The Nevada Guide to Dealing with Traffic Tickets
Get a ticket? Learn how traffic school courses can benefit your driving record (and wallet!) while discovering some great online traffic schools.
The Wisconsin Guide to Dealing with Traffic Tickets
Get a ticket? Learn how traffic school courses can benefit your driving record (and wallet!) while discovering how to take one online.
The Michigan Guide to Dealing with Traffic Tickets
Get a ticket? Learn how driver improvement courses can benefit your driving record (and wallet!) while discovering how to take one online.